Your privacy is important to us
We protect your information and aim to be clear and open about what we do with it.
You do not have to provide us with your personal information. However, if you don't do so it may affect our ability to assist you or provide you with a product or service.
If you want to deal with us while not identifying yourself (i.e. anonymously or by using a pseudonym) we will allow you to do so where it is practical (for example, where you make a general enquiry of us). Please tell us if you wish to do this and we will indicate whether, given the nature of the transaction, it is practical.
What information do we collect, how and from where?
We collect personal information about you when you use our products or services, or deal with us. We may also collect personal information about you from other people and organisations.
How your information may be collected and from where
Information we may collect
Information that you share with Motorserve, such as information collected:
- Over the phone;
- In person, including at automotive service centres, customer hubs or offices;
- Over the internet, including via our website, mobile applications, online forms, surveys, emails or cookies; and
- In writing, including via hard copy forms.
- Your name, date of birth, and gender;
- Contact details (such as your address, phone number or email);
- Information you have shared with Motorserve during customer surveys or interviews;
- Driving history;
- Driver's license number and/or passport number and, upon our request, a copy of your driver's license or passport;
- Drivers licence validity and history;
- Location data including the geographic location of your vehicle and/or location of devices used in the vehicle, such as GPS units, or a smartphone accessing our app or associated apps;
- Any benefits you obtain from your NRMA Membership;
- Any preferences you tell us about or other information that you provide; and
- Other information relevant when providing a product or service, such as:
- information about your vehicle, including registration and vehicle identification number;
- information obtained as part of the management and processing of a vehicle service and assessment; and
- details of insurance policies you hold or have held.
Information provided by our related entities, outlined in Section 5, including our group members, service providers and external parties, as applicable based on the services you use.
- Information you provide our related entities during the registration of a product or service, such as your name, email, home address, telephone number, date of birth and other registration information; and
- Information about products or services provided to you by our related entities.
Where we collect sensitive information, such as health information to allow us to provide services more effectively to you, we will generally only do so with your consent and will generally not use it for any other purpose other than the purpose we collected it for. We will only use sensitive information for another purpose:
- where you would reasonably expect the information to be used in that way;
- if the purpose is directly related to the purpose we collected it for; or
- if you give us consent to do so.
How do we use your information?
We’re careful about how we collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information. We use it to deliver our products and services. We also use your personal information for other purposes, such as to better understand your needs, and to let you know about other products and services you may be interested in.
Purpose for use of your information
How your information may be used by us
Serving you as a customer (or NRMA Member):
- To provide you with products and services;
- Processing and administering your products and (if applicable) your NRMA Membership or dealings with us as a customer (or NRMA Member);
- To manage our relationship with you, including verifying your identity;
- To maintain your account and processing payments you have authorised;
- To contact you, for example, to respond to your queries or complaints, or if we need to tell you something important; and
- To provide you with assistance you may request of us.
Enhance our products and services:
- For product development, model development, and analysis to improve our products and services;
- To study how our customers (and NRMA Members), use products and services from us and other organisations;
- To test new products; and
- To develop new ways to meet our customers’ needs and to grow our business.
Facilitating our business operations:
- For example, for managing our IT infrastructures, databases, websites and statistical and maintenance purposes.
Fraud, crime and misuse prevention:
- To detect, investigate, report and seek to prevent and deter fraud and crime;
- To prevent and deter the misuse of our products and services and as required by law;
- To manage risk for us and customers; and
- To respond to complaints and seek to resolve them.
Responding to regulatory requirements:
- To comply with our legal obligations and assist government and law enforcement agencies or regulators.
- Using any special categories of data as needed to establish, exercise or defend legal claims.
For marketing purposes:
- To provide you with updates, loyalty benefits, discounts, offers and information about other products and services that we think may be of interest to you. These products and services may be offered by ourselves, our related entities or other organisations, outlined in section 5 and includes NRMA.
- If you no longer wish to receive promotional communications from us, you can contact us at any time to opt-out or use the opt-out instructions provided in the communication. If you decide to opt-in again just let us know.
- For any other purpose communicated to you at the time we collected your personal information or as required or permitted by law.
Who do we share your information with?
We may share your personal information with other members of the IAG Group (meaning Insurance Australia Group Limited and its related bodies corporate). We may also share your information with others for the reasons outlined in section 4.
We may disclose your personal information to the entities listed below. They will only be authorised to use that information for the specific purposes outlined in section 4.
Our group members
- Our related entities such as Insurance Australia Group Limited (IAG), Insurance Australia Limited (IAL), Insurance Manufacturers of Australia Pty Limited (IMA), and Vehicle RepairHub Pty Ltd (Repairhub).
Our Service Providers
- For example, suppliers, advisers, market researchers, digital services, marketing agencies, experts and IT providers and agents or sub-contractors of any of those providers.
- National Roads and Motorists' Association Limited (NRMA)*;
- Royal Automobile Club of Victoria (RACV) Ltd; and
- RACV Insurance Services Pty Ltd.
- Your family members – for example, if they contact us with your authority;
- Australian Financial Complaints Authority, or other external dispute resolution scheme – for example if they contact us about a complaint you make with them;
- Affiliated motorists' clubs;
- The Statutory Road and Traffic Authorities and toll providers;
- Business partners of NRMA who provide NRMA Member benefits; and
- Car dealers and manufacturers who provide NRMA Membership packages in the sale of vehicles.
Other than the vendors providing the services you have requested as described above and as otherwise described in this section, we do not share your personal information with unaffiliated third parties without aggregating, anonymising and/or de-identifying it first, unless we obtain your prior consent.
Sending information overseas
Some of the entities listed above operate in countries outside of Australia, such as the United States, New Zealand, South Africa, Philippines, Brazil, India, Singapore, United Kingdom, Netherlands and Ireland. We may disclose your personal information to these parties located outside Australia. If we do this, we will endeavour to ensure that there are arrangements in place to protect your personal information.
Keeping your information safe
Our staff are trained in how to keep your personal information safe and secure. We use secure systems and buildings to hold your personal information. We aim to only keep your information as long as we need it.
We hold personal information electronically and may also hold information physically. We implement and maintain processes and security measures to protect personal information which we hold from misuse, interference or loss, and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
These processes and systems include:
- The use of identity and access management technologies to control access to systems on which information is processed and stored;
- Requiring all employees to comply with internal information security policies and keep information secure;
- Requiring all employees to complete training about information security; and
- Monitoring and regularly reviewing our practise against our own policies and against industry best practice.
We also require third parties to protect your information in accordance with our strict information security policies that align with generally accepted information security standards.
We store personal information for as long as necessary for us, our group members, service providers and related entities described above in section 5, to provide products and services to you and others, to comply with legal obligations, or to administer any product or service.
Accessing, updating and correcting your information
You can contact us and ask to view your personal information. For more detailed information, you may need to fill out a request form. If your information isn’t correct or needs updating, let us know straight away.
Can you see the information we have?
You can request access or correction of the personal information that we hold about you by contacting us (see section 10). So that we can provide access quickly and efficiently, we may ask you to complete a ‘Personal Information Access Request Form’.
Is there a fee?
There is no charge for requesting access to your personal information, but we may charge you a reasonable amount to cover matters such as retrieving, copying and sending out information.
How long will it take?
We will respond to your requests to access or correct personal information in a reasonable time and will take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we hold about you remains accurate, up to date and complete.
Can we refuse to give you access?
There are some circumstances in which we are not required to give you access to your personal information. We'll let you know if we are unable to give you access, if it is practical to do so.
Updating your information
It’s important that we have your correct details, such as your current home, email addresses and phone number. You can check or update your information by contacting us (see section 10).
Making a privacy complaint
If you have a concern or complaint about your privacy, let us know and we’ll try to fix it. If you’re not satisfied with how we handle your complaint, there are other things you can do.
How can you make a complaint?
If you have a complaint about our handling of your personal information, please contact us via email at email@example.com with details of your complaint.
How do we manage complaints?
- promptly acknowledge your complaint;
- carefully investigate it and determine the steps that we will undertake to resolve your complaint;
- contact you if we require any further information and provide you with our determination once it is made; and
- if you are unhappy with our determination, provide you details on how to take your complaint further.
What else can you do?
If you remain unhappy with the way in which we have handled a privacy issue, you may approach an independent advisor or contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (www.oaic.gov.au) for guidance on alternative courses of action which may be available.
Revision to this Policy
We’re here to help
If you need further information, want to update your personal information, have a privacy concern, or want to update your preferences – help is just a few clicks away.
- write to us at: Motorserve Privacy, Motorserve Pty Limited, 8/43 Herbert Street, Artarmon NSW 2064; or
- email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This Policy is current as at 31 January 2020.
*Motorserve and its related entities (including Insurance Australia Limited ABN 11 000 016 722 trading as NRMA Insurance) are separate and independent from National Roads and Motorists' Association Limited 77 000 010 506 trading as NRMA.